The Early Years of Glendale, Arizona
Back in the year 1880, the land that’s now known to everyone as Glendale was nothing but more than an empty desert. Then in 1882, William J. Murphy collaborated with three Arizona builders, M. W. Kales, William A. Hancock and Clark Churchill, and he is leading the Arizona Canal Co. project that will bring water to the dry land. Murphy and his team were able to complete the canal in May 1885 with the help of 225 donkeys and machineries available for use.
Through the late 1880s, numerous homesteaders began to stand a small house and settle near around the newly constructed canal. One of the early settlers named William H. Bartlett, habited the lands in what today is called central Glendale. He begun and built a 640-acre fruit farm in 1886, along with a main house and other 13 more buildings. It was then called as the Sahuaro Ranch.
In the year 1888, together with the amazing help of others, Murphy built the diagonal Grand Avenue. On the 27thday of February, 1892, (when Glendale celebrates its birthday) the first residential area started to come in place. The town site of Glendale began to shape up and innovate soon after. The first school to be established and to operate is the Glendale Grammar School which was built in 1895. Its commencement drew the people from all over the Valley near to the school. During the mid-1890s, Glendale had become the pathway for a line of the Santa Fe Railroad that links the Valley to Prescott and to Northern Arizona. The railroad helped the Glendale settlers to transport their produced to the north and receive easily the building materials.
One of the first alumni from Stanford University, Victor E. Messinger, came to Glendale in 1895 and helped the town to establish its very own library donating 400 books from his own collection. From his donations, soon after, the library was built and is known for people today as the Murphy Park.
The Early 1900s of Glendale, AZ
As time goes by, more and more people began to move in to Glendale after the turn of the new century. Over the years, little by little, the city became one of the most culturally diverse cities in the Valley. The city adapted many of its culture from the early Hispanic settlers as well as from Japanese and Russian settlers who came from California who moved to Glendale.
From then on, the population of Glendale kept growing and the 1990s saw infill projects such as Marshall Ranch and Marbrisa Ranch as well as the changing of Valley West Mall to Manistee Towne Center.